Every day many commuters pass by Great Neck Train Station. Interested in learning the backstory of this historic place?
The Great Neck Train Station is one of the oldest in Long Island. In fact, it was first constructed all the way back in 1866. It was first built on the North Side Railroad, and it was soon incorporated into the relatively new Long Island Rail Road.
At first, Great Neck Station was an endpoint for trains—but this was not for long. On June 23, 1898 the first train went past Great Neck to Port Washington. Great Neck Station went from being a terminal to just another stop on the newly formed Port Washington Line. The Manhasset Viaduct had to be built in order to accommodate this new train path.
In 1924, a major development took place at the train station: it was moved. By 1925 a new station had been built in a new location nearby. This new station is still in use even to this day. The station has two tracks. Track one goes up to Port Washington; track two goes East to Queens and ultimately New York City.
Throughout the 20th century, many additions and renovations have been added to the station. For example, elevators were built, and in 1934, the tracks were moved below ground level. More recently, Great Neck Station welcomed an aluminum sculpture consisting of a conductor’s watch and keychain. Lastly, the Great Neck Station underwent some modernization not too long ago, with the addition of Wifi, bike racks and a 1,100 feet track extension.
Because of its history and all the work that has been put into it over the years, people continue to be able to take a train from the Great Neck Station.