The Village of Great Neck Plaza, in conjunction with Long Island Traditions and Poetry Coordinator, Carolyn Raphael, wants to remind you that the Village’s Fifth Annual The Poetry Contest Awards Reading Day is this Sunday, April 19th, at 2 p.m., at Village Hall. Beginning last fall with the acceptance of original poems from poets in Nassau, Suffolk, Brooklyn and Queens Counties, the fifth cycle of the poetry contest will be concluding with a wonderful afternoon of poetry reading by those who placed in the competition. The winners of this year’s poetry contest, who as part of their award will be reading on April 19th, are the following:
- First Prize: Ed Stever for “A Leg Dangling from the Ceiling” – Rocky Point, NY
- Second Prize: Mary Jane Peterson for “Purpose of the Universe” – Great Neck, NY
- Third Prize: George H. Northrup for “Once Around the Pond” – New Hyde Park, NY
- Honorable Mention: Irma Souveroff for “Up on a Dawn” – Baldwin, NY
- Honorable Mention: Ellen Pickus for “Ghouls” – Baldwin, NY
Additionally, there will be an open reading portion of the program – as time permits – for people to read their own original poetry. The public is invited to join us in this celebration of Poetry Month and to hear the readings of these award-winning poems. The event is free to the public and refreshments will be served.
For more information regarding this event, please contact Village Hall at (516) 482 – 4500.