New parking rates and regulations go into effect on Wednesday, Nov. 18, in the Village of Great Neck Plaza. Highlights of these changes include the following:
• The fee for all parking meters in streets, lots and garages will be $0.25 for every 30 minutes, an increase from $0.25 per hour. Patrons will be able to purchase parking for an initial 30 minutes and additional 30-minute increments.
• Maximum parking limits in the Gussack Plaza outdoor parking lot across from Village Hall will be reduced, with 29 of the approximately 95 parking spaces continuing to be four-hour parking, and the remaining 66 spaces being changed to two-hour parking. Cars parked at the designated two-hour spots will not be allowed to purchase more than two hours of time in the lot. Color-coded spaces are painted to differentiate the two-hour and four-hour spaces with green lines and posted signs.
• In the village’s two parking garages, Plaza Centre and Maple Drive, permit parking will be in effect until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, with metered parking in both garages in effect from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., for a maximum of two hours. Parking in the permit spaces will continue to be free in both garages after 5 p.m. on weekdays and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
• Commuter parking permits in the Plaza Centre Garage will increase from $210 to $250 per quarter, starting with the first quarter of 2016.
• The number of short-term metered parking spaces on the Plaza Centre Garage entrance ramp is being reduced to make room for more permit parking.
Village officials expect that these measures will increase the availability of parking for shoppers and visitors, increase turnover, and prevent abuses and meter-feeding in lots and at on-street meters. To encourage community businesses and their employees to purchase garage permits and park in the designated long-term parking spaces in village garages, the permit rate will remain $90 per quarter.
For more information, call Village Hall at 516-482-4500 on Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.