Join the Great Neck Chinese Association (GNCA) for a free seminar that will help parents better understand and deal with substance use and abuse among children during preteen and teen years on Wednesday, Sept. 28, at 7:30 p.m. at Great Neck House.
The speaker will be Maria Elisa Cuadra, CEO of COPAY (Community Organization for Parent And Youth), a nonprofit organization in Great Neck, whose professionals are experts in the treatment and prevention of addiction to alcohol and other drugs.
The presentation will assist parents in better understanding what’s happening and how they can best discuss the issue with their children, thus preventing them from experimenting with and/or abusing alcohol and other drugs.
Some of the topics covered will include the following:
• Current concerns regarding children, teens and substances;
• What and when parents need to address these issues;
• Addiction and substance abuse and how they affect families;
• Addiction and substance abuse and its connection to mental-health issues;
• Leading and teaching by example;
• Chronic stress in children and teens;
• Signs parents should look for;
• When services are needed and how to access care;
• What services and levels of care exist;
• What COPAY does and how they can help.
Parents will have an opportunity to ask questions and get vital and current information.
Great Neck House is located at 14 Arrandale Ave. For more information about COPAY, visit www.copayofgreatneck.org.