Fresh produce is available throughout the area this season and income-eligible seniors age 60 and older can receive a one-time (per family, per year) coupon book worth $20 to purchase fruits and vegetables at local farmers markets. The coupons are provided at no cost by the New York State Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program and can be used at various locations.
At farmers markets, local growers sell their produce directly to consumers, usually right off the trucks, so the pro-duce is seasonal, locally grown, freshly picked and reasonably priced. Some of the farmers markets in the area, and the days and times they operate, include:
• Great Neck Spinney Hill Farmer’s Market (EBT, VF, FC) on Sundays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., through Oct. 30, at 125 Community Dr. in the Northwell parking lot.
• Garden City Farmers Market (VF) on Tuesdays, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., through Nov. 22, at 101 County Seat Dr. in Mineola, off Old Country Road.
• New Hyde Park Farmers Market (EBT, VF) on Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., through Nov. 19, at 1441 Jericho Tpke. in the municipal parking lot near Village Hall.
• Port Washington Organic Farmers’ Market on Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m., through Oct. 29, at the Port Washington Town Dock, 347 Main St.
• Roslyn North Farmers Market (VF) on Wednesdays, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., through Nov. 23, at 500 Searingtown Rd. in Christopher Morley Park.
EBT indicates electronic benefits cards, VF means WIC Vegetable & Fruit checks and FC is Fresh Connect, where accepted. For more information on eligibility, call the Nassau County Office for the Aging at 516-227-8919.