Designed to raise awareness about skin cancer, the Skin-telligence program will be returning again this year thanks to Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel and the Colette Coyne Melanoma Awareness Campaign (CCMAC).
“As more people head outside to enjoy the summer weather, it’s important that they know how dangerous the sun’s rays can be to their skin and how to best protect themselves from developing skin cancer,” said Schimel. “The CCMAC has once again generously agreed to partner with us to help spread the word about this summer danger.”
According to the American Cancer Society, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer, accounting for roughly half of all cases diagnosed in the United States. A pale complexion, family history of skin cancer, severe sunburns or exposure to carcinogens can increase a person’s likelihood for developing skin cancer, but virtually everyone is at risk.
“In 1998, our daughter was diagnosed at 29 and passed five and a half months later,” said Colette Coyne, cofounder and executive director at CCMAC. “Statistics indicated at that time that one in 75 would be diagnosed in their lifetime. Today, the American Cancer Society tells us one in 50 will experience this disease, which if not caught early is deadly. Assemblywoman Schimel is among the few who recognizes the importance of our message of prevention.”
Skin-telligence will be held at several public pools across the area, where attendees will have the opportunity to speak directly to Schimel and her staff at the following locations:
• Wednesday, July 20, from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Manorhaven Pool, 158 Manorhaven Blvd. in Port Washington
• Friday, July 22, from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Clinton G. Martin Pool, New Hyde Park Road in New Hyde Park
• Monday, July 25, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at North Hempstead Town Beach, 175 West Shore Rd. in Port Washington
• Wednesday, July 27, from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Whitney Pond Pool, Northern Boulevard and Community Drive in Manhasset
• Wednesday, Aug. 3, from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Lake Success Pool, 15 Vanderbilt Dr. in Lake Success
• Wednesday, Aug. 10, from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Parkwood Pool, 65 Arrandale Ave. in Great Neck
• Wednesday, Aug. 17, from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at East Hills Pool, 209 Harbor Hill Rd. in Roslyn