With the holidays approaching, Town of North Hempstead residents should be mindful of several things they can do to keep their families safe during the holidays.
“This time of year is a joyous opportunity to celebrate and gather with family and friends. However, it is important for residents to be aware that fires can result from electrical problems and candles that might be used for holiday decorations,” said Supervisor Judi Bosworth.
Here are some tips on how to prevent home fires this holiday season from the National Fire Protection Association:
• Make sure that all artificial trees are flame resistant.
• Keep natural trees well-watered. Dried out trees are fire hazards; the drier they become, the more suscep-tible they are to catching fire.
• Avoid placing lit candles near the tree or decorations.
• Remove malfunctioning holiday lights from your tree.
• Keep trees away from a heat source.
For more information, call 311 or 516-869-6311.
—Submitted by the Town of North Hempstead