Tips To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Disaster

0
294

Talking_Smoke_Carbon_Monoxide_Alarm_Combo_SCO7CNJanuary is Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness month, a great time to be reminded of the dangers of CO and how you can protect your family.

Often referred to as the invisible killer, CO poses great danger because it’s odorless and invisible. Indications of possible CO poisoning include chronic headaches, nausea and shortness of breath. CO poisoning can occur when furnaces, boilers and water heaters are used improperly.

“Learning about the symptoms and warning signs of CO poisoning can help save lives,” said Supervisor Judi Bosworth. “Residents should also protect themselves and their families by installing carbon monoxide detectors in their homes, especially near sleeping areas.”

To protect residents from the dangers of CO, in 2014, Bosworth and the town board unanimously approved the required use of digital carbon monoxide detectors in places of assembly with less than 50 people and public assembly with 50 or more people.

According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), “if you suspect that you are experiencing CO poisoning, get fresh air immediately. Leave the home and call for assistance from a neighbor’s home. You could lose consciousness and die from CO poisoning if you stay in the home.”

The CPSC offers the following carbon monoxide safety tips:

• Have your home heating systems (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually by a trained service technician.

• Never use portable generators inside homes or garages, even if doors and windows are open. Use generators outside only, far away from the home.

• Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.

• Never use a gas range or oven for heating.

To view a brochure on carbon monoxide awareness, go to www.northhempsteadny.gov/coawareness. For more information, call 311 or 516-869-6311.

Leave a Reply