Payments for the 2016–17 second-half school tax bill must be made before Wednesday, May 10, to avoid a penalty, according to Town of North Hempstead Receiver of Taxes Charles Berman. Payments can be made in person, mailed or online.
Mailed payments must be postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service on or before May 10. Online payments may be made by Automatic Electronic Check (ACH) or credit card at www.northhempsteadny.gov. For online credit card payments, a processing rate of 2.35 percent of the tax amount will be imposed. When paying with an online check through your bank, schedule the payment at least 10 days prior to the deadline, and be sure to include your 2016-17 school tax bill number and your section, block and lot.
Taxpayers can make payments in person at the tax office at 200 Plandome Rd. in Manhasset during normal business hours on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. The tax office will be open later, until 7 p.m., on Wednesday, May 10.
Bills may also be paid in person at the following local collection sites by check or money order. Be sure to bring your entire bill with you when paying in person.
• Monday, May 1, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Great Neck Social Center, 80 Grace Ave. in Great Neck
• Monday, May 1, from 1 to 2 p.m. at Hector Gayle Roslyn Community Center, 53 Orchard St. in Roslyn Heights (in the parking lot on Lincoln Ave.)
• Tuesday, May 2, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Fuschillo Park, Carle Road and Broadmoor Lane in Carle Place
• Tuesday, May 2, from 1 to 2 p.m. at the “Yes We Can” Community Center, 141 Garden St. in New Cassel
• Wednesday, May 3, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Clinton G. Martin Park, Marcus Avenue and New Hyde Park Road in New Hyde Park
• Wednesday, May 3, from 2 to 3 p.m. at Broadway Park, Broadway and County Courthouse Road in Garden City Park
• Thursday, May 4, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Port Washington Parking District, 15 Vanderventer Ave. in Port Washington
• Thursday, May 4, from 1 to 3 p.m. at Michael J. Tully Park, 1801 Evergreen Ave. in New Hyde Park
• Friday, May 5, from 12 to 2 p.m. at John D. Caemmerer Park, Wentworth Avenue in Albertson
To sign up for email payment reminders, visit www.northhempstead.com and click Our Government, followed by Receiver of Taxes and then the Tax Office Email Alerts tab. A reminder will be emailed approximately 10 days before the last day to pay the tax without a penalty.
Property owners may also register online for no-cost access to their general and school property tax information, where they can view, print or check the payment status of their property tax bills. Though a convenience fee will be imposed for tax bills paid using American Express, Visa, MasterCard or Discover or by ACH, no fee is imposed for conventional payments via the U.S. mail or in-person payment.
For questions, call 311 or 516-869-6311.
—Town of North Hempstead