The last day to pay the Town of North Hempstead 2016–17 school taxes first-half bill without a penalty is Thursday, Nov. 10. Receiver of Taxes Charles Berman advises taxpayers that the U.S. Postal Service must postmark mailed payments on or before Nov. 10 to avoid a penalty. By law, office postage meters are not official postmarks. Berman recommends that taxpayers mailing payments on the last day have their payments hand-stamped at the post office to ensure a timely postmark.
Taxpayers may also pay in person with a check or money order at the Receiver of Taxes’ office at 200 Plandome Rd. (Town Hall Annex) in Manhasset during regular business hours from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., until 7 p.m. on Nov. 10 or at the following local collection sites:
• Monday, Oct. 31, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Port Washington Parking District, 15 Vanderventer Ave. in Port Washington
• Monday, Oct. 31, from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Hector Gayle Roslyn Community Center, 53 Orchard St. in Roslyn Heights (parking lot on Lincoln Avenue)
• Tuesday, Nov. 1, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Fuschillo Park, Carle Road and Broadmoor Lane in Carle Place
• Tuesday, Nov. 1, from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Yes We Can Community Center, 141 Garden St. in New Cassel
• Wednesday, Nov. 2, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Clinton G. Martin Park, Marcus Avenue and New Hyde Park Road in New Hyde Park
• Wednesday, Nov. 2, from 2 to 3 p.m. at Broadway Park, Broadway and County Courthouse Road in Garden City Park
• Thursday, Nov. 3, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Great Neck Senior Center, 80 Grace Ave. in Great Neck
• Thursday, Nov. 3, from 1 to 3 p.m. at Michael J. Tully Park, Evergreen Avenue in New Hyde Park
• Friday, Nov. 4, from 12 to 2 p.m. at John D. Caemmerer Park, Wentworth Avenue in Albertson
When paying in person, bring your entire bill. For further information, visit www.northhempsteadny.gov or call 516-869-7800.
To sign up for email payment reminders, go to the town website and click on Our Government, then Receiver of Taxes, followed by the Tax Office Email Alerts tab. A reminder will be emailed approximately 10 days before the final due date. Taxpayers can also register online for access to their general and school property tax information. For a reduced convenience fee, property owners can pay using American Express, Visa, MasterCard or Discover or by Automatic Electronic Check. Conventional payments via the U.S. mail or made in person will not be subject to any convenience fee.
—Submitted by Town of North Hempstead Receiver of Taxes